Tuesday, 3 March 2009

Captain Uber Vs. Pervert Man 1976

None of the following is true:

Back in 1976 there was a one off issue of a comic book called: Captain Uber Vs. Pervert Man. It was crude, poorly drawn and badly written and was cancelled after its first issue and banished to the realms of forgetfulness for the rest of all time, God save us all. But it has recently re-emerged and is been crafted into the next Hollywood blockbuster by straight out of college know-it-all director, Toro-Luca Hideoeguezbergtino.

So, this is the back story for my whole project. I don't know how I am going to fit it all in. I have a comic to draw up (Rough version complete) and then print properly, a movie trailer to record and animate (Already storyboarded), movie posters to design and a 'mockumentary' interview with an idiot director who doesn't even exist: Toro-Luca Hideoeguezbergtino. Plenty to do by not-so-mid-march.

Toro-Luca Hideoeguezbergtino is named after all of the big directors at the moment:
  • Guillermo Del Toro
  • Robert Rodriguez
  • Quentine Tarantino
  • Steven Spielberg
  • George Lucas
  • Hideo Kojima (Because I'm a geek)
This is just a fun little poke at Hollywood's A-list.

Anyway, onto the main part of the post. I have just finished my rough hand drawn version of the comic book that I am going to be making for this project. It is very rough and is the second comic book I have ever made. The first one was when I was about 13 and was about zombies. I think I drew it the week before my interest in comics came to an end.

Hand drawing the comic was very time consuming, but it also really helped me to visualise and layout everything so that it can be clearly read. I also have this policy: "Get it wrong to get it right". Basically, it means doing everything at least twice. The first time straight ahead and the second time with planning...by combining the two you keep the spontaneity of the piece, but you get a clear layout that is easy on the eyes and makes sense.

Anyway, here are some scans:

The cover will be designed from the best parts of the images in the comic to save time....

I should mention that the comics first issue was called: The Crazy Clitoral Caper!

This comic was *made in 1976* remember, things were different back then...or were they really that different. All I know is that my hair style would have still been in fashion.

I've taken what I learned from my research and really tried hard to apply it to my own comic book. Laying out a comic seems about ten times more difficult than laying out an animation...there is such a limited amount of space with which to make the comic not only look interesting and exciting, but tell the story and write the dialogue.

A few pages are taken up with really big drawings...this is not only a time saver, but it makes the comic book much more exciting.

Yes Pervert Man, you are correct. They are never, ever where you expect them to be...

This comic is outrageously crude...but that is completely deliberate. After all my research the one thing I really uncovered is that comics (Especially modern ones) are crude. They are gore filled, over the top, gross out, coarse language glam rags that teach young teenagers everything they ever needed to know about the criminal underworld, drugs, sex and violence. If my comic wasn't like this...it wouldn't have got banned and none of you sitting there reading this would actually be interested in reading it...

You could say that this comic was ahead of its time...because this got pulled off shelves in 1976 for what people are only just beginning to accept now in comic books.

No comments:

Post a Comment