Thursday, 12 February 2009

Connotations

This project has struck up a lot of openly discussed issues so far and has opened up a whole new path for me to explore: one which I had not previously considered. It has caused me to alter certain decisions, revise my plot and generally take an alternative look at my approach to making this cartoon.

Originally, the cartoon was very out there and I liked it. It didn't so much push the envelope as tear into and steal the money secreted inside, before posting it anyway. Now I have revised the plot and well, in truth I have completely changed the story line. I am in two minds about this. I want to make a piece that forces people to look at the responsibility they have when it comes to making cartoons for a young susceptible audience. But at the same time, it is a cartoon and I want it to be entertaining rather than preachy. I know there is a balance, but thus far I haven't been able to find it.

The logo for instance is very blatant, but it doesn't really come into the project very much. Yes, it is at the top of my page for every visitor to see, but it is deliberately there to grab the viewers attention. I believed this to be a nice middle ground (You should have seen the original).

And then there is the title itself. The word Pervert has come a long way since it was first used I am sure and these days it seems to have more connotations towards children, molestation and other such heinous and disgusting things. I have asked around and a lot of people have said a lot of different things and come up with a lot of different meanings. I have noticed that people within the age group I am aiming at tend to be indifferent about the word and that older folk define 'perverts' as people who leer at women.

This modern climate of political correctness has really led me to question my own definition of the word and has even made me question a lot of other things I previously thought I was sure about. I don't want to ditch everything I believe in, but I also don't want to piss any one off. But I guess you've got to break a few eggs if you want to make an omelette, right?

Anyway, to clarify that I have considered this argument and gone so far as to change things and even question my own beliefs that I thought were stone set, I have created a questionnaire which I will distribute and correlate. In the end it may not change anything I do, but at least I will be able to gauge whether or not I need to buy a ticket to hide away in a foreign country before I put the damn thing out there.

As a further note: not a single mention of the plot will be in the trailer I am making...nor will there be any touching, snatching, grabbing, rubbing or any other words that make people think I am animating a cartoon that says it is OK to act like a disgusting and vile individual. Cappiche?!

No comments:

Post a Comment